Naval and Other Military Facilities in Kitsap County-Military Moves
Kitsap County is home to Naval Base Kitsap, formed in 2004 when Naval Station Bremerton was merged with Sub Base Bangor. There has been a military presence in Kitsap County since 1891 with the construction of Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton. In 1914, the property that is now Naval Undersea Warfare Division, Keyport, was established as the Pacific Coast Torpedo station. Keyport has served as a major torpedo and ordinance facility since that time. Over the years its mission has expanded and changed.
Today it is home to about 2000 civilian, military, and contractor personnel engaged in diverse activities beyond the original mission. In 1942, a US Ammunition Depot was established at Bangor. Since 1977, the Bangor base has served as homeport for the west coast based Trident Submarines, and more recently has been tasked to support other submarine missions as well. Bangor is home to a Marine Security Force Company. Coast Guard Flotilla 48 serves North Kitsap and Bainbridge Island.
The Prowse Group has assisted many military personnel in buying and selling homes in Kitsap County. We have two retired military employees and are familiar with the unique demands on military families, the military compensation system, veteran’s loan programs, and base facilities. Please contact us if we can assist you.
Below are links and resources to help your transition if you have orders to the Pacific Northwest.
- Everything you need to know about Naval Base Kitsap and its facilities–https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Kitsap/index.htm
- Fleet and Family Support Program provides active duty members and their families with a wide range of support services that focus on the unique challenges of the military lifestyle– http://www.navylifepnw.com/site/28/FFSC.aspx
- NavyLifePNW.com provides military families with a diverse amount of information about base facilities, area attractions, housing and lodging, and morale, welfare, and recreation programs– http://www.navylifepnw.com/
- Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility Official Site – a guide to all the ship overhaul and repair facilities in our area (Bremerton, Bangor, Everett) in support of the Navy’s mission– http://www.psns.navy.mil/
- Naval Hospital Bremerton is the central military medical facility in our area–http://nh_bremerton.med.navy.mil/
- Coast Guard District 13, Division 4, Flotilla 48 serves North Kitsap–http://a1300408.uscgaux.info/